Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Worktight workflow problem

• cyw400
      Subscriber

Hello, I am using watertight workflow to mesh my geometry. I have found many free faces after importing the geometry, may I know do I need to repair these free faces before continue the steps? Many thanks

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

What geometry format you are importing? 

can you please import it in SpaceClaim and create a solid body. then go to fluent meshing import. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• cyw400
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. My geometry is a gas turbine combustor. I have imported to spaceclaim and make sure it is a solid body and no extra edges, small faces etc. 
      Then, I import to fluent meshing, still many free faces especially in the flame tube area with many small holes. I have meshed my geometry with all default value, it works, however it didn’t work if I change the surface mesh parameter with the other values. Can you please help me with this? Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Do you have thin faces in the flame tube area?  The workflow assumes the geometry is clean; if it's not fault tolerant may be suitable or you may need to revert to the wrapper. 

• cyw400
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. My flame tube is a 2mm thickness wall with many holes. The free faces after importing the geometry into fluent meshing has shown below. I have tried to stitch the free faces using Face Connectivity in fluent meshing but cannot fix all free faces. 

However, I have managed to mesh with all default values and got a mesh with 0.15 orthogonal quality and aspect ratio less than 100. Can I say that the mesh is acceptable for combustion modelling? Many thanks

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Please check geometry in SpaceClaim. 

select geometry in structure tree --> right click --> click check geometry. 

the geometry should be error free to proceed. 

if geometry has any errors, please modify/recreate geometry at those places. 

please split the faces shown in your image into 3-4 faces. then import in fluent meshing. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.