Fluids

Fluids

Writing and Reading to Memory using Ansys Fluent 19.0

• ayankola
      Subscriber

Hello, 

I am trying to run simulation on Ansys Fluent 19.0 in which I will like to store my data on User Defined Memory using UDF after which I will like to read the data stored in the User Defined Memory using UDF and use it for simulation. To make my question clearer, the following is the case study I want to run.

I want to run and flow simulation on a cylindrical mesh by first solving for the flow (using dynamic mesh function of Ansys Fluent) and store the velocity values in the x, y and z direction in a User Defined Memory using the attached UDF. After calculating the flow, I will like to turn off the dynamic mesh function and read the values of the velocity from the User Defined Memory to run the species transport by solving for species equation only for as many cycle as possible. 

Find attached the UDF for the writing to memory and UDF for the reading from memory.

When I tried to implement this on Ansys fluent 19, I did not know what value to put in for Number of User-Defined Memory Locations and Number of User-Defined Node Memory Locations. I have tried to read this on the online Ansys documentation but I did not understand it. Your assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you for your support.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Staff aren't allowed to open attachments, so please repost. Images of what you're doing will be useful too. 

• ayankola
      Subscriber

Thank you for the response. This is the UDF I am using to calculate and store velocity values:

• ayankola
      Subscriber

This is the UDF I am using to read the velocity from memory:

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Interesting approach, and I'm not sure if it'll work: certainly beyond what I can help with on an open forum like this. 

If you want to save each velocity component for each time step you'll need three UDM per time step.  Remember Fluent is a cell based solver, so not sure why you want the node values too?

• ayankola
      Subscriber

You mean if I have 100 time steps, I will need 3*100 of UDM locations? Also, where will I get the velocity values after writing it on memory? or how can I link it to my read UDF in order for me to use it for simulation?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Yes. Once it's written you'll need to read the UDM back onto the velocity field for each step, and make sure you read the correct UDM back at the correct time & into the correct velocity field. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.