Fluids

Fluids

Wrong results in ANSYS Fluent

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber

I am using ANSYS fluent 2020 R1 in my MSc dissertation (University of Aberdeen) to model sea-water flow over a circular cylinder (fluid properties: density=1023.6 kg/m3,viscosity=.00091 kg/m.s) using 4 values of Re (100,1000,10000 and 10^6). I am trying to obtain drag coefficient and flow contour maps, but i am getting wrong results. Note that I have seen some tutorials on Youtube and I followed them but still getting wrong results different from what is available on the published resources.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Check the reference area as drag coefficient is a derived quantity and the mesh: is it fine enough at the surface to pick up the shedding? 

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply.

the diameter of my cylinder is .6096 m. for the meshing my I put an element size of 300 mm and for the inflation I put an element size of 20 mm to have finer meshing around the cylinder.is it fine enough ??

for the reference area as well as the length I put .6096 m.

What would you suggest ?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Check the sizing, and also try local refinement (adaption). 

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber
      Thanks for your reply. I have done that but still getting wrong Cd values as well as the contour flow maps.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

What's wrong with the flow field? Pictures will help.

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber

As it is clearly seen that vortex shedding is not shown, although that Re = 100.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Do you expect shedding at 0.15mm/s around a 0.5m diameter pipe? 

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber

As per my understanding, vortex shedding is a function of Re number. Also, from the literature it is mentioned that vortex shedding starts from Re= 40( critical Re) and in all my cases Re is higher than this value. 

If you have a better explanation as well as better understanding for this subject, I am happy with that and I will appreciate it, because my background is petroleum engineering so that I am not familiar to this subject.

Thanks.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Pass, I've not looked at the theory in years.  However at the speed you're using I'd not expect anything much to happen. 

• 3LMOON
      Subscriber

one more question, about the models, when to use each one??

Thanks for your replies.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.