Fluids

Fluids

X-Y Plot over arbitrary curve [FLUENT 22R1]

• FluxLimited
      Subscriber

I know the options to generate a line/rake surface to then plot XY data on them. Is it possible to plot XY data over an arbitrary curve (e.g. a spline).

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,

You can plot XY data on a line connecting a series of points. You won't get the exact curve here, but increasing the number of points may serve the purpose. This is possible using the CFD Post.
      There is an option to define 'Polyline' where you can define the line as per your requirement. If you have the coordinates of the line, define it in the .csv format (Refer the link).

Polyline: 12.1.10. Polyline Command (ansys.com)
      How to define a line in .csv format: 8.8.1. Export (ansys.com) (Refer section - 8.8.1.3.1. POLYLINE Data Format)

I hope this helps.

Nikhil
    • FluxLimited
      Subscriber
      thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to accomplish this in FLUENT post-processing instead of CFD-Post? CFD-Post seems to choke on loading this file and doing any manipulation. It's about 20M 3D cells. FLUENT has no problem post processing it.
    • Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,

I doubt there is any direct way of doing this. But there is a manual workaround in Fluent.
      If you have the line/curve equation or the coordinates, create multiple points from the Results -> Surfaces -> New -> Point. Once you have sufficiently enough points, plot the X-Y plot using these points and the variable of your interest.

Nikhil

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      The other option is to look at using the intersect of two surfaces. If the line is on a curved surface (wing or the like) create an iso-surface of position and make sure the wall/surface of interest is selected when you OK/Apply/Create the new surface. That gives a "surface" that's the line common to the two surfaces.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.