General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Xfem and large deflection

• Ali_sh
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I am using ANSYS to simulate static crack propagation.

I am a little confused.

I have two models in WB, one of which is similar to "3.7.5.2. Example: XFEM-Based Crack-Growth Simulation". The other one is a DCB.

When I put the large deflection "on," the crack would not propagate in the three-point bending model. However, in DCB mode, which is not one part and has contact, the crack propagates while the large deflection is on.

I am wondering, does the xfem supports the large deflection or not?

Thank you,

Ali

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

X-FEM in ANSYS does not support large deflection: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v221/en/ans_frac/fracfcgxfem.html
      Ignores large-deflection and finite-rotation effects, crack-tip plasticity effects, and crack-tip closure or compression effects.

• Ali_sh
      Subscriber

Thank you for your answer.
      I was confused because it has been mentioned in the fatigue crack growth section, which uses singularity-based XFEM.
      What about static crack propagation? When it is defined to determine STTMAX.

Bests Ali
    • David Weed
      Ansys Employee
      the same goes for static crack growth as well. In general, XFEM crack growth only supports linear elastic materials: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v221/en/ans_frac/Hlp_G_FRACXFEM.html
      Enables fracture-parameter (J-integralandstress-intensity factors) evaluation of stationary cracks in linear elastic isotropic materials. (The displacement formulation can account for the presence of singularity.)
      Material behavior is assumed to be linearly elastic. The available fracture criteria are valid only for cracks in homogeneous linear elastic materials.
      Though the problem may run with nlgeom,on, the results may not be accurate. Since it is not supported, it is suggested to turn it off.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.