Phase array effect in FDTD

MANNANMANNAN Member Posts: 5
edited March 17 in Photonics

Dear Concern

I am new to FDTD and need to know how to make an array of dipoles along the x-axis using analysis group and scripting. I need to manipulate the parameter of the dipole in frequency domain-like (center frequency, offset bandwidth and pulse width).

I need to study the interaction of two dipoles or I want to start with phase array effect

It will be very nice if I can get an example to start with.

Looking forward to reading the discussion

Regards

Mannan

Best Answer

• trobertstroberts Posts: 71Ansys Employee
    Accepted Answer

Hello Mannan,

This sounds like an interesting test, and FDTD will naturally account for coherent phenomenon. In the OLED examples, we employ techniques to explore the incoherent effects. Unfortunately there we do not provide an existing analysis group that accomplishes this. The closest thing we have would be the random dipole cloud available in the object library.

You could certainly modify this to create a regular coherent phased array. Alternatively and maybe simpler, you could use an array structure group modifying the script to add dipole sources instead of structure.

The set-up of a linear array should be very simple, and you may want to start from scratch. For an array with uniform spacing dx and phase offset dphi, this might look like.

for(i=1:N_dipole){
      adddipole;
      set('x',dx*(i-1));
      set('phase',dphi*(i-1));}

Best,

Answers

• MANNANMANNAN Posts: 10Member

Dear troberts 

Thanks a lot for your help. I will definitely work on your suggestions and will let you know if I need further your suggestions.

Regarding updating the dipole properties by script as you have mentioned

for(i=1:N_dipole){
      adddipole;
      set('x',dx*(i-1));
      set('phase',dphi*(i-1));}

how to further update the dipole properties like frequency, band width , pulse type (broadband) pulse length, and offset.

I need to simulate with particular properties of dipole.

could you please let me know a sample, FOR LOOP for make a dipole which include frequency, band width , pulse type (broadband) pulse length, and offset.

Is it possible to add such parameters using the set command like shown below.

looking forward to hear from you soon

Thanks a lot and regards

set('center frequency', number)
    set('pluse type', number)
    set('offset', number)