Organic 2D Solar Cell Photonic Crystal in CHARGE

spacelover17spacelover17 Member Posts: 10

I am looking at the "Organic Solar Cell with PC Structure" example in .fsp, and I am trying to figure out how to simulate the solar cell performance in CHARGE, similar to the way that the planar silicon solar cell does. I know I can start by copying over the optical generation calculation script from the planar silicon solar cell example, but I would like some advice on the following issues:

• How should I go about adapting the script to calculate the solar generation in multiple layers? I imagine the bandgaps in the other layers are low enough that there would be significant generation of carriers, but different bandgaps would complicate the analysis relative to the planar silicon example on your site.
  • What are some things I should keep in mind if I want to create and analyze this structure in CHARGE so that I can figure out the performance of this solar cell structure? I'm not sure how I would go about creating this multi-level structure with this photonic crystal, and what I might have to consider when trying to electrically simulate this photonic crystal structure.

Answers

• gsungsun Posts: 729Ansys Employee

As long as CHARGE can handle the material properties, it will be ok to simulate the device regardless the bandgaps. However, the organic materials have significant different material properties, such as mobility, and the transportation effect, which cannot be accurately described by the draft-diffusion equation solved by the current CHARGE solver. CHARGE solver is mainly for semiconductor devices.

If you just want to set up "multi-level" structure, I think it should be ok: if the "level" is meant to be the bandgaps of the semiconductor materials, or the layered structures, you should be able to set up by adding the geometry one by one with properly assigned material properties, including semiconductors, insulators (dielectric) and conductors.

Please refer online resources such as KB and edu videos.

• spacelover17spacelover17 Posts: 18Member

Thanks! I'll check those out. I am also confused about geometrically, what I should think about and make sure I do when incorporating the photonic crystal into the device.

• gsungsun Posts: 729Ansys Employee

Unlike FDTD, CHARGE,HEAT and DGTD do not have something like the index monitor to directly check the structure. However, you can check the domain by partition. You can also set up the same device in FDTD in the order of geometry with material/mesh order and use index monitor to check, and make sure the device is what you expect.