Grating coupler

SalwaSalwa Member Posts: 1

Hello,

In Lumerical grating coupler example, when increasing the length of the grating taper section, we change actually the radius of curvature of the grating. Is there any other changes to be done?

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• greg_baethgegreg_baethge Posts: 120Ansys Employee
    edited May 19

Hi @Salwa ,

Thank you for posting your question. Just to clarify, could you specify which example you are referring to? We have multiple grating coupler examples on our website.

In any case, as you noted, if you change the length of the taper, this changes the start of the grating, hence it changes the radius of each etched area. The changes you can do will mostly depend on what you want to achieve. If you want to optimize the grating, I would suggest to look at the inverse design optimization examples, starting with the 2D one:

We typically start with a 2D version as it is much faster. This allows to get a good starting point for the next step, the 3D optimization.

I hope this will help.

• SalwaSalwa Posts: 2Member

I am referring to https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042305334

What I mean is that I want to increase the length of grating taper section to reduce losses. I changed the radius of curvature of the grating and I found that the losses have increased!! Should I make other changes in the design.

Thanks

• greg_baethgegreg_baethge Posts: 120Ansys Employee

Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned, if you change the length of the taper, it moves the grating, so you will most likely have to change the fiber position as well. You can run a parameter sweep over the x position of the fiber, for example, or run the position optimization (you may need to increase the max value).