EME Solver Selecting TE vs TM modes for Rib Waveguide

crossingsymmetrycrossingsymmetry Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I am going through the 1x2 MMI example provided by Ansys. In order to calculate S-matrix for TE and TM polarizations, the example simply selects symmetric and anti-symmetric boundary conditions on z min bc. In the provided example, the waveguide is a strip waveguide and I sort of understand why this work. In my case, I am using a rib waveguide which is not symmetric across z-axis. How would I for the EME solver to select TE or TM modes separately in order to extract s-matrix from the parameter sweep?

MMI example.

Rib waveguide for my simulation the structure isn't symmetry across z axis:

I am stuck and couldn't find a way forward. I have tried several different options, such as selecting user defined modes on the input and output ports and select them all to be TE or TM, but the S-matrix I get from that run is very different than what I get using the symmetric/asymmetric z min bc (even for the strip waveguide). Any help would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• crossingsymmetrycrossingsymmetry Posts: 6Member
    Accepted Answer

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I realized I would get the same answer as your example by selecting the "user selected modes" and it worked beautifully.

However, I run into new issues when I try to select modes for each port and run the simulation through ascript. Following is my script to sweep through TE and TM modes.

for (ii = 1:2){

switchtolayout;

# select modes

select("EME::Ports::port_1"); # select the port group

set("mode selection","user select");

set("selected mode numbers",ii); #mode 2 is TE

select("EME::Ports::port_2"); # select the port group

set("selected mode numbers",ii); #mode 2 is

select("EME::Ports::port_3"); # select the port group

set("selected mode numbers",ii); #mode 2 is TE

run;

}

However, when I run the simulation for both TE and TM, I get the following error.

Note that I have selected 1 or 2 for ports. The solution seems to be that each time I select a new polarizaiton, I need to press "Select Mode(s)", calculate modes, and then select mode number. Is there a way to do this automatically?

Thanks

Answers