Melting of a PCM and its influence on the air temperature

math706math706 Member Posts: 1

Hello!

I have some issues with simulating the melting of a PCM. It's in a domain where there is a hot incoming air flow at 303K. The PCM is located in a copper tube. The temperature of the PCM is related to the temperature of the copper but the temperature of the copper is unchangeable, despite the increased temperature of the hot air. I initialized the simulation at 291K, two Kelvins below the melting point of the PCM. The liquid fraction of PCM does not form and its temperature doesn't change either. Can someone give me a hand, please?

The pictures represent last Timestep.

Comments

• RobRob UKPosts: 9,687Forum Coordinator

Did you do the Share Topology operation in SpaceClaim prior to meshing? Have you got wall and wall:shadow pairs between the air and copper?

• math706math706 Posts: 3Member

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have done the Share Topology in DM. For the wall pairs, I'm not sure but I think they are there (see picture).

Even if I modify the different walls boundary conditions (Heat Flux, Temperature, Convection, Mixed, via System Coupling) I always get the same results...

The wall between the PCM and gas should be "coupled" if you set anything else it'll not transfer heat. You may want to set a thickness in the solver.

• math706math706 Posts: 3Member

I made another similar model but removing the copper pipe. To the "wall" between the PCM and the fluid I gave it a thickness of 0.001 m in "coupled". Unfortunately I still have unsatisfactory results : only the temperature of the PCM around the cavitation seems to have increased and and the liquid fraction still does not appear.

What boundary conditions have you set for the PCM?