Questions related to reinforced concrete

19yuuki9119yuuki91 Member Posts: 7

Hi everybody

Once again I come for your help regarding some doubts with my FE models. Like I have previously mentioned, I am modeling a simple supported RC beam, as shown in the picture below.

The load is applied as a remote displacement at the top of the loading plates, allowing rotation; the only fixed DOF is in the X axis (direction alongside the thickness of the beam). The support plates are only fixed at one edge, so as to they can rotate when the displacements are applied, as you can see in the following picture.

The material of both types of plates is basically rigid, with a Young's modulus of around 1000000+ MPa. I opted for this instead of having the plates to behave as rigid, because this last option would give me a weird behavior. As of now, the contacts are modeled as bonded.

Reinforcement was modeled as lines, and taken as beams in spaceclaim.

I have tried two different approaches to model the reinforcement. One was to set their behavior as truss/links and then use some APLD code to join the nodes.

The second one was to simply set the behavior as reinforcement.

The concrete is modeled utilizing solid186 and the Menetrey-William material with exponential softening.

When running the analysis, I have noticed that the capacity of this model is higher when I suppress the reinforcement. Obviously, this is incorrect, but at this moment I do not know what else to try or what could be causing this behavior, which is why I would like to know your opinions. I am happy to provide any additional information if necessary.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that when setting the behavior of the bars as reinforcements I get these results

which I do not think is adequate as well.

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• ekostsonekostson Posts: 406Ansys Employee

Hi

I would first try and do a known benchmark of flexural failure in beams (Buckhouse 1997), before doing anything else.

Analysis of RC Beams using Nonlinear Finite Element Techniques Analysis of Reinforced Concrete (RC) Beams Using Nonlinear Finite Element Techniques

try and obtain the same results so you get confident with the set up and methodology (it is possible to reproduce these results with your approach and Menetrey concrete model and reinforcement option ).

Good luck

Erik

• 19yuuki9119yuuki91 Posts: 19Member

Hi Erik

Thank you for your answer, I would do so as you suggest. Just so I am sure, Buckhouse, E.R. “External Flexural Reinforcement of Existing Reinforced Concrete Beams Using Bolted Steel Channels,” Master’s Thesis, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin In (1997), is this the correct reference of the paper you mention.

Best regards