Ansys Insight: Running parallel jobs using Intel MPI on Windows with Ansys LM
The 2019 Intel MPI is bundled and used starting with Lumerical 2021 R2 on Windows. These guidelines are for setting the resource configuration when running parallel jobs across several computers using this version while obtaining the license from the Ansys License Manager.
- Configure your machines or node for remote/parallel jobs as shown here.
- Register your user credentials with Intel MPI on the machine where you will be launching the simulation.
- Store the simulation file in a shared network folder where you have write/read access.
(A) Distribute a simulation on multiple machine or nodes.
1. Create a machinefile that contains the hostname/IP of the machines that will be running the simulation. Suffix the number of processes to use for each remote host separated by a colon ":". Do not add empty lines before or after your "host" lines. Save the machinefile as a text file. e.g. "myhosts.txt". The machinefile will look like:
host_1:4 host_2:6 ... lasthost:8
2. Label or change the entries of your resource to indicate this is running in distributed mode. Enter the hostname/IP of the machines running the job. These information is used when doing the "Run Tests" feature.
3. Edit your resource and select "Remote: Intel MPI" as the Job launching preset.
4. Enable/Check "no default options".
5. Add a writable path for the APPDATA variable as shown here.
6. Add the "-machinefile <filename>" option.
7. Save your settings and run your simulation.
(B) Concurrent sweeps across several machines or nodes.
1. Add the resource for the remote machine in your resource configuration.
2. Enter the hostname or IP address of the remote machine running the simulation and the corresponding processes and capacity to use. See this article for details.
3. Edit the remote resource and select "Remote: Intel MPI" as the job launching preset.
4. Add a writable path for the APPDATA variable as shown here.
5. Save your settings and run your simulation.