Multi-core running failure

xyjxyj1992xyjxyj1992 Member Posts: 7

Hi, there is a job error popping out as shown in the attached figure every time I try to run with multiple core and threads. Can anyone help with this? Thank you!

Answers

• gsungsun Posts: 1,652Ansys Employee

It seems you have 4 licenses but your simulation tried to use 15 licenses! Please try to use only 4 nodes.

• xyjxyj1992xyjxyj1992 Posts: 30Member

I am confused... We only have purchased one license and that shouldn't limit the number of the cores we can use while running the simulation, right?

• gsungsun Posts: 1,652Ansys Employee

It might be related to your license type. I will ask my colleague to investigate this issue further.

Sounds good, thank you!

• LitoLito Posts: 243Ansys Employee

@xyjxyj1992,

I am confused... We only have purchased one license and that shouldn't limit the number of the cores we can use while running the simulation, right?

There is a limit to the number of cores you can run a simulation job. You currently have 1x Ansys Academic Lumerical FDTD research license that comes with 4 FDTD solve licenses. Each FDTD solve license allows running 1 simulation up to a maximum of 32 cores per simulation job. If you want to run a simulation with more than 32 cores this will require additional FDTD solve/engine licenses for each additional 32 cores increments. In your error message, it indicates you are trying to run a simulation job using more than 448 cores/threads (32 coresx15 solve license). Check your resource configuration to not use more than 128 processes when running a simulation job. See this article for details.

Example: Running a simulation using 128 processes/cores on a local Windows PC. This will occupy all 4 FDTD solve licenses to run the simulation.

I see, thank you Lito! I thought the processes and threads here indicated the number of processors and threads to use for the single simulation parallelly of my PC.